🔕 🔔

What are the most complex, least modified grains?

I keep hearing about how the grains that we eat now have been processed and modified over time so that they no longer resemble what our ancestors ate. I have several friends with severe, almost debilitating gluten allergies (not a fad, a real health issue-). So I'm wondering what kinds of whole grains are the least processed and modified? I'd like to add some grains with a lot of fiber to my diet. What do you recommend?

asked by lloreen about 3 years ago

Personally, I don't think grains are necessary. I get tons of fiber from high fiber veggies like sweet potatoes and kale. You also get a bigger bang for your buck as far as vitamins go from veggies. When I want a grain, I almost always go with white or brown rice.

lapadia

Check out the link attached for suggestions re: grains that are the least processed and modified. NOTE: the whole article is an interesting read, and towards the end it covers specifically what you have asked about. https://experiencelife...

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

You might also look into amaranth grains.

If someone is truly having problems with gluten, then even the pre-hybridized grains could cause problems, because they still contain gluten, so be careful.

A few ancient grains from the top of my head: Einkorn, emmer, spelt, farro (which is not a specific grain, but can be one of several types of pre-hybridized wheat), and kamut. Grünkern and freekah could also be considered--if traditionally produced, they are unripe spelt that has been smoked or roasted.

Quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat may also be useful, but technically these are not grains.

There are some interesting books on the subject--you may want to look at one by Maria Speck. I think its title is Ancient Grains.

lapadia

Hi lloreen, Just to re-hash…you have mentioned friends’ w/gluten problems.

But then, you ask for recommendations on the least processed or modified grains with lots of fiber that you would like to add to YOUR own diet.

If that is correct then my previously attached link is good reading for you and here it is again: https://experiencelife...

Good luck with your mission :)