Italian meringue

Has anyone made Italian meringue frosting with caramelized sugar-- so instead of just heating sugar letting it color ?-

I have a layer cake in mind for a friend's birthday: olive oil cake + blackberry filling + caramel meringue frosting

Thoughts?

asked by Aliwaks over 3 years ago

I'm not sure it would work -- I assume you take the sugar to a specific stage for a chemical or physical property reason. RLB has a recipe for Caramel Silk Meringue Buttercream in The Cake Bible, but she uses the caramelized sugar in the crème anglaise component and not the meringue component.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

The sugar would have to get too hot to use in an Italian meringue. I usually shoot for 240F when making an Italian meringue and caramel must be heated in excess of 300F. At that temperature, your meringue would surely collapse. I would recommend a brown sugar Italian meringue for a bit of caramely depth.

I see why - from tech, chemistry points of view - the caramelized sugar won't work in the meringue.
But my taste imagination says that the caramel would be a lovely addition to the cake.
If you have the energy and space, do a 3-layer cake with one each filling of blackberry and caramel, then top with meringue.
if not, do the backberry filling now abd the caramel another time.