Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

I am having company tonight for a simple week-night supper. I am making individual chicken pot pies.

These are rich because of the cream sauce in the filling and the puff pastry top. What type of side would go well to serve with these. I am thinking maybe just a small garden salad as there are veggies in the pot pie. But is that enough to serve company?

asked by Adianne over 1 year ago

I think it sounds lovely. An herby green salad with a light vinaigrette would compliment your rich pot pies perfectly.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I love your idea! If you aren't sure about it being enough, maybe offer some more substantial mix ins like bacon, blue cheese, or marcona almonds. And don't forget to save room for dessert!

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

If I'm afraid of a salad not being substantial, or too basic, to serve to company, I'll exchange the greens for a more unique mix. Things like shredded jicama, endive, wild mushrooms, figs, pears, fennel, paper-thin radishes, nuts, aged cheeses, etc., can make fantastic salads, dynamic and hearty enough (sans greens) for a side without it being too heavy. Top it off with a fun vinaigrette, and you have a prime accompaniment.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

A side salad is a great idea to complement the pot pies. You can always add a dessert with coffee or tea to finish the meal. It's a nice way to keep the conversation going.