🔕 🔔

Making mini pot pies tonight using a top and bottom crust. Should I precook the bottom crust?

asked by leftoverquiche almost 7 years ago

Dc5e2c4e c8ad 459f b39f d8d395d3d678  169

Would I cook it more like an apple pie? Just assemble and bake at 350 for 25min?

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

That's what I would do. I've made this one: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
and just baked it like an apple pie.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

sorry, this is probably too late. I don't prebake my bottom crusts. I usually start my pies at 425 for about 15 min, then reduce temp to 375 or so until done.

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I have never prebaked the bottom crust of a double crust pie. I am curious to ask the other cooks; how do you seal the edges if the bottom shell is already baked??

As long as the pastry is cold and the oven is hot, I can't see a problem with not prebaking.

Thanks everyone. We did cook it like a 'apple pie' and it was perfect. We did think about sealing (or not being able to seal) the edges with a baked bottom. That was the aha moment!