What can I substitute for the 3 lbs of chicken bones in Jaime Oliver's tortellini primavera? These are just for the broth

The recipe also calls for two chicken legs; the meat and skin of these go into the filling, and the bones go back into the broth.

• Posted by: Megan
  • May 20, 2015
E37ad787 f9ec 44ae 9180 2486c98a955a  643880 what can i substitute for the 3 lbs of chicken bones in jaime oliver s tortellini primavera these are just for the broth

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend May 20, 2015

Do you not have chicken or not have chicken bones or do not want to use chicken?

Megan
Megan May 20, 2015

I cooked a 3.5 lb chicken last night, and I have about a quarter of the meat left and all the bones. Will that work? It's a fair amount less bones than I'm supposed to use.

Susan W May 20, 2015

It will be lighter in flavor. Do you happen to have any Better Than Bouillon on hand? It's handy for such situations. Or...you could make a smaller batch.

Garlic Fiend
Garlic Fiend May 20, 2015

Like Susan W said, you can use less water or just have a lighter broth. I don't have boullion on hand. I cant read the recipe because my phone is not rendering it properly. If you are not using the broth as is, you can always prepare the lighter broth and add to it later when you have acquired more bones and scraps. I usually have random bones (usually chicken and pork) in my freezer (I make stock all the time), so I just add enough, mixing it up. Sometimes I use cornish hens.

Megan
Megan May 20, 2015

Oh, thank you! You've put my novice cooking heart at ease! I do have bouillon cubes I can use. Garlic Fiend, I'll have to start keeping bones in my freezer too - great idea!

Susan W May 20, 2015

I only buy whole chickens. I cut them up and the neck, back and wingtips go into the freezer. The farmer that I buy my grass fed beef and pastures pork from saves beef marrow bones and just gives them to me. Another bag contains veg scraps. Free stock! :) Just use a tiny bit of the bouillon.

Susan W May 20, 2015

Garlic Fiend, this is weird. I saw your reply about lucky me and free bones from my farmer, but I don't see it on this thread. Yes...I am lucky and I get free pork bones from my farmer too. Pastured, Heritage pigs. :) Sometimes he throws in pork and lamb neck bones. They are perfect for ramen. Slurp!!