Jaime Oliver's chicken in milk - curdling?

I added lemon juice to the milk - not fresh, but jarred juice. When I went back to mix before throwing in the oven - there was a cottage cheese like something going on. It's in there now. Second time I'm making this - LOVED IT the first time, but I can't remember if this happened then or not. What do you all say? Thanks thanks

amysarah December 9, 2015

Yes, it curdles - same as a traditional Italian pork roast braised in milk. Those curds are actually quite delicious! But if that texture doesn't appeal to you, you could remove the chicken and use a hand blender to puree the curds, I think.

Stephanie
Stephanie December 9, 2015

Thank you!!! I'm happy the curds then!!

Susan W December 9, 2015

The recipe calls for lemon peel, not lemon juice, so my guess is that you have an Uber curdle. Did you use lemon juice the first time as well? I've actually been tempted to add a little lemon juice, so do let us know how it turns out.

nancy essig
nancy essig December 10, 2015

This recipe always curdles with the lemon peel alone.

Susan W December 10, 2015

I'm aware of that. I make it quite often. I was tempted to also use fresh lemon juice to add to the flavor not because I was looking for more curds.

Stephanie
Stephanie December 10, 2015

Thanks, All! So - it was delicious again, but.. It was not nearly as sophisticated as the my first go with the recipe. I'm thinking I got it right that time and only put the zest. It was still good, but different and not as elegant in taste.