In need for a homemade marinara sauce recipe?

No canned tomato recipes please (:

asked by Christina Marie Smith over 3 years ago

I'm with Zane. It's really good and you can use fresh or canned tomatoes and make it smooth or chunky.

cookinginvictoria

I love Marcella's sauce, but for a traditional marinara, this is the method that I use: https://food52.com/blog... You can use fresh tomatoes, if you have access to good, flavorful ones. Where I live, we won't see vine ripened tomatoes for at least a few more months. :)

thirteenJ

Toss some really ripe romas with olive oil, garlic cloves, onion, S&P, and thyme until caramelized. Add water and blend!

thirteenJ

Toss some really ripe romas with olive oil, garlic cloves, onion, S&P, and thyme Roast at 400 degrees until caramelized. . Add water and blend!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm making a sauce right now with good, canned tomatoes. I wouldn't dream of making a sauce with supermarket, "fresh" tomatoes. They have little to no flavor, and since a sauce is going to be cooked anyway, the processing the canned tomatoes go through doesn't make much of a difference. Just make sure the processing doesn't involve chemicals or artificial ingredients/additives and you'll be fine.

My sauce doesn't have a recipe. but I get whole peeled tomatoes, strain the juice out, rip the tomatoes in half and roast them (with onion and garlic) until deliciously brown, then I blend it all together and stew it with some good braising meats (short ribs, neck bones, country ribs, oxtails, etc.). I add a few more secrets, but that's a pretty basic red sauce. The meat is optional, of course, but it adds a depth of flavor. I've used dried porcinis in a pinch, just stew them with the sauce and blend.

Horto

Concerning canned tomato
Are you all using the liquid in the can or not?

Oh yes, absolutely!

cookinginvictoria

No, I use at most half of the liquid. I prefer to let the tomatoes break down and release their own juices rather than using too much liquid from the can. I find that using too much liquid from the can produces a watery sauce, particularly if I am making a quick marinara. Also, I suggest checking out the liquid in the can. Taste it and make sure that you want that flavor in your sauce. I prefer tomatoes packed in their own juices to tomatoes packed in puree.

It all depends on how you make your sauce. I use whole tomatoes packed in their own juices, then purée it. You should always cook the sauce long enough to rid it of the tinny flavor from the can, that all commercially canned tomatoes come with. I like to reduce my sauce, but to me, good red sauce isn't a quick process. Kind of like good pot roast.

If you want a really quick tomato sauce, that doesn't use canned tomatoes. Try this one: http://www.salon.com/2010...

It's not traditional, but it's delicious when you can find really good summer tomatoes.

POLC, have you tried his ratatouille? I made it last year with Farmer's Market summer tomatoes. It's unreal. My freezer was full of it. I was obsessed. http://www.salon.com/2010...

I haven't Susan, but I now look greatly forward to it. Thank you!

This unique recipe, featured in Jenny Steinhauer's column, is outstanding - especially with the fresh basil now in season.
https://food52.com/recipes...
Very important: it must sit at least 24 hours. ;o)

RoughEats

Actually, I'd suggest trying Kenzi's red sauce. It's pretty versatile, and is great for punching a rich tomato taste. http://www.seriouseats...

This looks really good. Trying it as soon as our heatwave is gone.