🔕 🔔

What to do with cornichons?

So I bought a jar of cornichons at trader joes, sort of on impulse. I've had them, I like them, but what can I put them in?

asked by girlwithaknife almost 3 years ago

I'd do what Coco espresso suggests and add them to tuna or potato salad (or chicken salad or any kind of salad!). You can also chop fine and add to deviled eggs. They are a nice section of a nicoise salad platter.

Don't throw out the juice. Use it, instead of vinegar, in a vinaigrette. Use in a brine for pork or chicken.

Yes to the above, especially keeping the juice for later application elsewhere. Other uses for the cornichons themselves - in remoulade or Green Goddess (two sauces, salad dressings; many recipes around), as garnish for high fat sandwiches like corned beef, pastrami, sauteed eggplant, hummus.

I love them in egg salad. Delish.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Charcuterie. That's all I can think of.

Here's a great chicken salad recipe on the site using cornichons, https://food52.com/recipes...
This sauce is luscious on poached chicken (also used for fish but never tried) https://www.cooksillustrated...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

This is a great salad with cornichons in the dressing: http://smittenkitchen.com...

They are traditional to serve with pates, also what coco espresso said. But they have nothing to do with Salade Nicoise.

As mentioned, they're perfect with charcuterie and pate (add a pot of Dijon mustard, a baguette and you're in business.) My mother made a roast tenderloin with a creamy tarragon/cornichon sauce, served room temp or cold. I'm not sure if this was the recipe, but it looks right and chances are she got it from Gourmet magazine: http://www.epicurious.com...

bigpan

I like to spear one and put in a nice vodka martini !

ChezHenry

Add them to a home-made Tartar sauce. Have you ever had deep-fried pickles?? I know, I know, but I like them. Dip in flour, egg and panko, then into a small saucepan with an inch or 2 of oil. Knock em back with a cold beer.