Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

When do I add bell peppers to the crock pot?

I'm dumping some chicken breasts and a jar of Trader Joe's Thai green curry sauce (YUM) along with some carrots into the crock pot, and putting it on low for 10 hours. I'd like to add some bell peppers but I'm worried about them turning into mush after cooking that long. Is it ok to add them now, or should I wait until a few hours (how long?) before the end of the cooking cycle?

asked by pnoeric about 5 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

If you want them intact..I'd sautee them first and add at the last hour to warm and flavor.

Edit: I'd also add some lime zest now...and in the final hour some more lime juice and can of coconut milk and fresh basil at the last 10 mins if you have it.

F5f738ce d84d 46ae 90ce 1fb6b6051af3  yaa

I would slice them up and add them raw during the last hour of cooking. They will soften, but should still have a little bite to them. Sautéing them first *might* cause them to be too soft after an hour in the crock pot, but that's up to you!

I'd also look at the indgrediants of the trader joes simmering sauce---that might have coconut milk it (we don't have a TJ here). But some lime zest and juice is always good with the thai curries. I'm with ghost tropic here I like my thai curry with crunchy veggie (carrots onions bell peppers).