🔕 🔔

What kind of olive oil do you think is the "best"?

asked by Erin K over 6 years ago

It's really a matter of personal taste; the oils can differ by where the olives are harvested (Italy, Spain, Greece, California..) and the strength of the flavors. You should really taste several to decide...which is hard to do, I know! It also depends on what you are using the oil for; you need lighter oils for some applications, like sauteing and heavier, bolder extra virgins for dipping bread or using as a garnish for soups or vegetables. Personally, I find many extra virgins too heavy and bold in flavor, so I use a medium oil most of the time, but again, it's my personal preference. Not much help, right? Sorry!

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I've got three in my kitchen right now - an inexpensive blend of olive oils from Greece, Spain, and Italy for cooking; a slightly more expensive Sicilian oil which I love for vinaigrettes; and a spendy bottle (also Sicilian) which is used solely for finishing dishes. As Soozll says, it really is a matter of personal taste - I tend to like more peppery oils like the Sicilian ones I have, but there are so many different olive oils out there you should really try to taste and figure out what you like best.

0126b6fe b327 4a8e 88d4 73999f1af60e  sdc12274

Thanks :) I will have to try some out.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Sur la Table has tastings as do some Whole Foods. I have a vendor at my local farm markets who carries Italian and California varieties and will provide tastes. For a better quality oilive oil, this is a cheaper way to test than to buy them all. For everyday use and cooking, the ones I like are both Spanish: Trader Joe's house brand Spanish blend and Zoe.