Electric Skillet - Pro's & Cons

Wedding season is here and I'm visiting wedding registries that ask for electric skillets. I didn't grow up with one and don't own one. If you have a stove-top whats the benefit? If you own one whats the pros and what do you cook in them? Thank you.

asked about 3 years ago

I'm really looking forward to some answers. My mom had one when I was a kid. She still insists it was the best for fried chicken. She did make amazing fried chicken, but I'm not sure the credit goes to the appliance. I own one and use it a lot in the summer because my second floor apt gets very hot. I have an outlet out on my deck, so I use my skillet, portable burner, slow cooker and toaster oven outside. Other than that, I have no clue why someone would want one.

Garlic Fiend

I don't own one but my college roommate did and did it save us from starvation when the dorm cafeterias were closed! We cooked everything in it that we would normally cook in a regular skillet. Come to think of it, it would be very handy right now since we just moved and have yet liberated the kitchen from all the boxes (no access to stove). I guess it would be a useful item for someone with a small kitchen.

I've never had one, but my mom did. She used it a LOT in the summer to keep the heat in the apartment down, and she always used it for Swedish pancakes. (Yum) As well, sometimes she cooked tableside in it.