My sister-in-law brought me virgin coconut oil back from Nicaragua. (It's the best I've ever seen or smelled!) It was liquid when she handed it to me, but now (24 hours later), it's solid in a bottle with a small spout. I think it's used to being kept in a warmer climate. Anyway, to get it out, I'm thinking of microwaving it or warming it in boiling water. Any other brilliant ideas out there?

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly January 2, 2011

Warming it in hot water is a brilliant idea and what I do myself when I try to get solid palm oil out of a jar.

hardlikearmour January 2, 2011

I'd second the hot water or if your oven has a pilot light you could let it warm in there for a while.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery January 2, 2011

I wish my oven had a pilot light--that's a good idea. Alright, I'll try the hot water. Thanks!

zieker
zieker January 3, 2011

If you attempt to microwave it, make sure your container is heat or oven-proof glass. Take any lids off first. Start on a pretty low setting (Defrost?) and go in 15-20 second increments. Watch your oil!! Melting point of virgin coconut oil is 76 F, so it shouldn't take much effort. Coconut oil is really stable with a high smoke point, so you're not going to destroy the oil by doing this. — Use an oven mitt to remove from the microwave, as that glass can get hot!!

Or, place jar in a large bowl or pot and pour hot water (not boiling!) around it and let it sit until it liquefies. You don't have to remove the jars lids for this step. Do NOT place it on the stove in a pot of boiling water or you risk the jar cracking or breaking.

This from Wikipedia: "It has a smoke point of about 360°F (180°C). Because of its stability it is slow to oxidize and thus resistant to rancidity, lasting up to two years due to high saturated fat content."