Can I print and share a recipe or is there copyright issues?

I found a recipe that I like and would like to share it with clients of mine. Can I get approval to do that?

asked by Sheree Blazejewski about 3 years ago

Assuming it's not to publish, I don't think there would be a problem -- the site is open to everyone with internet access and all of the recipes are printable and shareable.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Agree with hardlikearmour...just be sure to give credit to the recipe's author.

strawberrygirl

Generally speaking, recipes themselves aren't eligible for copyright protection because they are not considered to be a substantial literary expression. However, any accompanying photographs or illustrations, or descriptive headnotes (e.g., about the origins of the dish) could be eligible for copyright protection. Also keep in mind that many of the recipes on this site are submitted by individual users, so even if there were copyrightable elements associated with a recipe that you wanted to share, it may not be food52 that is the copyright owner.

Regardless of the legalities, it's just good etiquette to give appropriate credit when you share someone else's recipe, or do as AntoniaJames suggested and just share the URLs to the recipes on the site.