Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Can I print and share a recipe or is there copyright issues?

I found a recipe that I like and would like to share it with clients of mine. Can I get approval to do that?

asked by Sheree Blazejewski over 1 year ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Assuming it's not to publish, I don't think there would be a problem -- the site is open to everyone with internet access and all of the recipes are printable and shareable.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Agree with hardlikearmour...just be sure to give credit to the recipe's author.

334d09cb 05fb 4998 81f1 69e7ae796eb9  image

Generally speaking, recipes themselves aren't eligible for copyright protection because they are not considered to be a substantial literary expression. However, any accompanying photographs or illustrations, or descriptive headnotes (e.g., about the origins of the dish) could be eligible for copyright protection. Also keep in mind that many of the recipes on this site are submitted by individual users, so even if there were copyrightable elements associated with a recipe that you wanted to share, it may not be food52 that is the copyright owner.

Regardless of the legalities, it's just good etiquette to give appropriate credit when you share someone else's recipe, or do as AntoniaJames suggested and just share the URLs to the recipes on the site.