Nutella Brownie Recipe: Is there a way to modify the recipe so they wont turn out so oily?

Nutella has alot of oil in it. The recipe (super easy) takes:
1-1/4 cups nutella
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs

The nutella makes then fudgey but alot very oily.

Is there a way to modify or to add something so that they will be less oily but not cake like.

asked by Jennifer Mota over 3 years ago

Caroline Lewis

I don't know, but I made these as well because I was so intrigued by the nutella. Way too much butter!!

Caroline Lewis

This was in response to the nutella swirl cookie though, not the brownie. Sorry!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

The fat in the nutella isn't getting emulsified somehow. I wouldn't know without testing, but sometimes recipes are a little too good to be true. You could try just adding a bit more flour. Flour absorbs fat, but there may not be enough. Try ¾ c. instead. Whisk together the Nutella and eggs until well incorporated and then fold the flour in gently.

another place to reduce the fat is the egg yolks and add some baking powder for leavening (a job previously done only by the eggs). either reduce amount of eggs to 1, and add small amount (1/2 to 1 tsp) of baking powder, or use 2 egg whites and some baking powder instead of the 2 whole eggs.

If you use only whites, the result will be cakier. It's my understanding that Jennifer likes the texture. Eggs are compromised as such that they are excellent emulsifiers. I'm almost sure the extra fat is coming from the Nutella. Baking powder may not work very well either because there is no acid to balance it out. I don't think she'll get much rise unless she adds a lot. Then she might taste it. Plus, alkaline batters are often drier. A batter should always be slightly acidic.

Comprised*

Ok on the acid & emulsifier properties of egg, rexture a taste preference, maybe reduce nutella to reduce fat,

Isn't there a 2-ingredient Nutella brownie? Maybe that one would work better.

Is this the whole recipe? Nutella is very oily to begin with. I wouldn't make a whole brownie recipe with it. I like to swirl it through my regular brownie recipe once it's in the pan. That eliminates all the adding and subtracting...

Jennifer Mota

Yes thats the whole recipe. I orginally tried it because its just to easy to whip together in a bind. But theres just something about all the oil that turn me off of them

very nice. cuts through all the other answers.

Jenny Maria

I never have had any problems whit this resepie but I have use a norwegian spread called nugatti perhaps nutella are a bit different in different countrys