A question about a recipe: Roasted Potato Salad with Mustard-Walnut Vinaigrette

03ee3736 24a5 439c 92de d610374ac5c1  p2hcki0f5cej9qjy5lfnevdoejbfs6 b2acxongjnws

I have a question about the recipe "Roasted Potato Salad with Mustard-Walnut Vinaigrette" from Shannon. Can you substitute something for the walnut oil or is it crucial to the recipe?

asked by Megan Town over 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

It looks like its only to echo the flavor of the walnuts. You could just replace it with more olive oil.

Shannon

Hi Megan,

I wouldn't say it's crucial, but if you have any other flavored oils on hand they might make a nice substitution. I've used a jalapeno-infused olive oil in lieu of the roasted walnut oil and it worked great (although was a lot spicier)!

I'm dreadfully allergic to nuts and nut oils. Here, I would sub a deeply flavorful extra-virgin olive oil, and sub roasted peanuts for the walnuts. That might sound heretical to some, but to those of us with nut allergies.........