how to cut baklava perfectly?

I need a sort of presser cutter device, to cut my baklava into exact pieces (Like a grid which i can press into the baklava to make it exact). I need to know it's name, and a link to where i can buy one (UK) would also be appreciated. If the grids shape can be changed for different baklava that would be extremely helpful but not necessary. Thanks

asked by Volkan Esengul over 3 years ago

cookbookchick

I've made a lot of baklava in my time, but I've never seen or heard if such a device. Given the delicacy of the phyllo dough, I would think pressing on it with a cutter would tend to crush it. I always refrigerate the uncooked pan if baklava until the butter solidifies, and then use a sharp knife and a ruler to mark off where to cut, and then make the cuts. A good serrated knife is useful for this. My recipe is on this site, Mrs. Z's Secret Ingredient Baklava.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Though I've never tried it with baklava...I often like to cut delicate things with a thin, electric carving knife. Its surprisingly good at cutting pastry (I've used it for mille-feuille before).

Volkan Esengul

I was looking for a quick and easy tool to make my staff's lives easier, but it's looking like it's not going to happen. Thanks to those who took time to answer.

Liz D

What about this: http://www.kingarthurflour...

Volkan Esengul

That might just be crazy enough to work, thanks!

cookbookchick

I've had one of these in my Amazon cart for quite a while but not for one pan of baklava. But now that we know that you are making baklava for a restaurant, Volkan, I'd like to hear if it works. Let us know if you try it!

Volkan Esengul

I think i'll go with this amswer, i've found a 7 blade variation which will suit my style just fine. My biggest worry is wether the phylo pastry will be crushed or not

Liz D

I cut the top layer of pastry before I bake it. That way you get nice smooth cuts. The bottom layer doesn't puff up like the top, so you can cut it after baking without messing it up. If the cutter doesn''t work to actually cut through the phyllo without denting the whole thing, maybe you can always just use it to mark the top evenly so you can cut with a knife...

I've had god luck treating baklava as I would a cheesecake. That is to say, I cut it with a hot, wet knife. A 12.5" serrated knife (measurement from the tip of the blade to its end at the handle) is ideal. Fill your deepest measuring vessel or pitcher or vase with hot water. Dip the blade into it, then wipe it quickly with a dry towel. Make your first cut. Repeat until finished.

Actually, I've had "good" luck

I was about to suggest a serrated knife. A few years ago I subbed for a teacher doing a Phyllo class, and the serrated knife worked very well.

Volkan Esengul

For those suggesting method of using a regular knife, the main problem for me is the regularity of the cut. I need to be able to cut 8 rows and x colums (need to double check).

bigpan

I've made cut marks before baking and the cut with a good pizza roller cutter.