Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

From the UK, need help choosing the right syrup

I live in the UK and visited America last year and after trying your waffles and syrup and your version of pancakes with syrup, I loved it! I tried making it myself when I came home but I can't find a maple syrup like the one I had in America. I went to Waffle House and loved the syrup they used there but I have no idea which type of syrup they use the ones I've tried in the UK are too strong for my liking. Which syrup should I be buying?

asked by Chantele about 2 years ago

Couple suggestions here. One - maple syrup comes in different grades, in US as a whole, Vermont, Canada. The darker colored one (medium or grade B has a more distinct flavor. The lighter one has less distinct flavor. Some pancake syrups sold in stores are sugar syrups with artificial maple flavor (cheaper). Not sure what Waffle House use. Maybe email & ask them? Last, there are some American stores in London that may carry maple syrup, and Lakeland has one variety (can't tell grade from their site).

If you enjoyed it so much it must've been real maple syrup from Vermont or Quebec as opposed to table syrup which is basically corn syrup that you can find anywhere (and is an insult to us Canadians).

I found the below on amazon UK...I have this brand in my fridge. It's not the best but it's still very good. FYI I live in quebec, maple capital of the world so i know my sh*t

http://www.amazon.co.uk...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

As already mentioned, pure maple syrup is the best - a whole other thing than mass market "maple flavored" syrup. This is the delicious one my friend in Montreal brings when she visits: http://www.941thefox.com...

Having said that, I kind of doubt Waffle House uses pure syrup, as it's more costly....no judgement! Whenever I visit my in-laws in Ohio, I have to have one of their cheese omelets. Just oddly fluffy and delicious and I neither want to know, nor care, why.

Okay, I have to tell you the secret behind restaurants like Waffle House and their oddly fluffy but delicious omelets. Pancake batter added to their eggs which are often egg beater type eggs with whole eggs added. Feel free to forget I told you. :0)

Ah ha! Thanks for the intel. They're an entirely different species than, e.g., a French omelet - but somehow very satisfying. That might be partly due to circumstances - cooking wasn't my MIL's thing, so there was always a vague hunger permeating those visits.

I agree...somehow they are satisfyingly good. Sort of like pb&j on wonder bread. A friend of mine always specifies she wants a whole egg only omelet. I don't. :0)

Hi Chantele! I am an American but I currently live in the UK so I feel that maybe I can help you. As some of the other people suggested, I doubt Waffle House uses a high-quality syrup and I've eaten a lot of Waffle House! :) Real maple syrup (whatever the grade) is quite expensive in the United States so I imagine Waffle House uses some kind of blend of sugars or corn syrup. I'm sorry that I can't give you a specific answer other than don't buy real maple syrup. Go for something cheap if you are going for that Waffle House taste.

Thank you, this is really helpful!

Canadian! :) Maple Syrup from Quebec and Ontario (Ottawa's Stanley's Olde Maple Lane Farm) is delicious. Also if you are feeling adventurous, try the more savoury Birch Syrup as well from British Columbia (Vancouver). It is wonderful as a glaze for fish, game and pork as well as for pancakes and waffles. Oh... and don't forget Wild Blueberry syrup...mmmm. (Blueberries are like Windberries)

so much syrup so little time!

88553061 cf7b 4848 9237 720a6bddbf14  img 5282

Can you get imitation maple flavoring in the UK? We ha e made our own syrup for generations. 1c. water, 2 c. sugar, 1/2 tsp imitation maple and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Combine water and sugar and bring to a boil. Stir till sugar dissolves and then add flavoring.

E8719477 a00a 418f 8437 0900c433c509  head.jpeg

Hi there. Check out this Vermont company, Tonewwod Maple Syrup. I wrote a story about them on The Grommet. https://www.thegrommet.... JulieBee

820467dc d1b2 4071 ae7b d918a3648548  image

You should absolutely be buying pure maple syrup.. It is made from Sugar Maples in the northern United States and Canada. It can take about 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup. My son worked on a farm in Massachusetts and helped with the syrup making which is a huge amount of hard work.. Tapping the trees, carrying the heavy buckets out of the snowy woods, and then boiling it down to syrup in, usually big wood fired evaporators. You should be able to get some by ordering online. I think I once saw some in Fortnum and Mason, but it was very expensive

Parkersmaplebarn.com In New Hampshire will ship syrup to you, but the shipping costs might be quite high. Go to their site .. There is a phone number where you could call for specific shipping costs.

I, too, would be astounded if what you had was maple syrup. it was probably some industrial-grade syrup made for the food industry. Try going to a good-sized grocery store and look in the foreign foods section--or wherever they stock the Cheezwhiz and peanut butter. I will bet they have some sort of syrup there--Aunt Jemima is a popular brand, so you may find that. I have seen it in Germany, so I'd say you have a good chance in the UK.

I'm not an expert, but in the U.S. real authentic maple syrup comes in a couple of main grades A and B. A is milder, so I suspect you will like that the best. In the U.S., most maple syrup comes from Vermont, but neighboring states make good syrup. Canada makes 80 percent of the maple syrup so that may be an easier purchase, the grades are names differently and they have AAA, AA, A, B and C at least with AAA called extra light so that may be one to look for. Real maple syrup is made from sap and is fantastic and expensive. At a roadside diner you may have had imitation syrup, called pancake syrup or breakfast syrup. It is a widely used product based on corn syrup and artificial flavoring. Aunt Jemima is probably the most popular brand here. This is a purchased product here and I have never heard of anyone trying to make it.

The recipe posted above has been around for decades--it probably dates to the Depression, when people couldn't pick up a bottle of cheap syrup at the store.

Waitrose has a 4 varieties of Canadian maple syrup - and as they quite a high end grocery store what is on offer should be of good quality. If the link doesn't work go to their website and put in maple syrup. http://www.waitrose.com...