🔕 🔔

Would you recommend Tartine Bread or Tartine No. 3?

I'm familiar with bread baking and with sourdoughs, but I've not seen either cookbook. I've heard a lot of buzz about #3 but am not sure whether or not I should start with the original or if 3 can stand on its own.

asked by Meghan over 1 year ago

I don't own #3 but have used the Tartine Bread book for several years now. It is totally worth it for the 10-odd page illustrated recipe of the basic sourdough loaf. I have made it many many times and the recipe (plus the beautiful photos of how the dough looks at every stage) really helped me get a feel for making sourdough. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

YES!!!! YES YES YES!!!!! Yes on the entire collection. Tartine (the pastry edition), changed my life....and Tartine Bread is revolutionary to the world of home baking. Read it like a novel, you will not be disappointed.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

They are both wonderful! I would start with Tartine Bread, which has more extensive instructions on the basic method, although I think the instructions in No. 3 are decent. It won't be just plain levain bread either -- I really like the whole wheat, polenta, and raisin semolina bread variations in Tartine Bread as well. I've really enjoyed making bread from No. 3 (the brown rice porridge bread and oat hazelnut bread are particular standouts), but some of the doughs are harder to work with. If you are as hooked on Tartine Bread as I was, you'll also pick up Tartine No. 3 eventually!

Definitely start with Tartine. I received a gift-boxed set of Tartine Bread and Tartine Pastry. Tartine Bread has changed my life. I've found the pastry book underwhelming. Some of the recipes simply do not work.

Peter Reinhart was my Breads chef instructor in culinary school, and I did recipe testing for The Bread Baker's Apprentice. I didn't think it was possible for a bread book to re-educate me. But Chad Robertson's Tartine Bread did. The recipe and instructions for his basic country bread consume approximately the first 70 pages of the book. Read every single one. And follow the instructions to the letter. His Tartine 3 was not well reviewed. I've not seen or used it, but the consensus among reviewers was that it it is predicated upon processes, such as prolonged fermentation of whole grains, that home bakers simply will likely not have the patience to follow. But Tartine Breads is a true gem.

I have to admit, the fact that Tartine underwhelmed you cut me deeply haha. I use SO many of the recipes so often as solid basics. Chiffon cake, brownies, pie crust, quiche, lemon cream, shortbread, friands, pots de crème . I pretty much taught myself croissants from that book and now I make them for a living (another method, but Tartine is responsible for my foray). It wasn't as groundbreaking as Tartine Bread, but it's still worthy of just a touch of praise....