Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

it's time for me to learn to love The 'Neep.

You know what it's like. Stuff happens and for some reason there are a great number of turnips in the garden, some ready to eat now, and a lot more growing. The thing is, I never eat turnips except with haggis, and I haven't had that in years. What the devil do I do with all these 'Neeps?

So, here I am, overrun with many different kinds of turnips - it's time to learn to love the 'neep.

Can you help inspire me? What turnip recipes are a must-cook? What's your personal favourite?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked over 1 year ago

In the past year I have discovered how good turnips are when roasted. Brings out their natural flavors. Low and slow (or medium if in a hurry), in a heavy pan, with good olive oil. Depending on the size, cut in halves, quarters or wedges. I leave the peel on, - and only remove, if needed, after roasting. Can be eaten as is, as a side dish, with some herbs and s&p to garnish, with cheese or meat sauce topping to make a main dish, or mixed with other roasted vegetables.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

My mother often made a classic French lamb stew with spring vegetables - including turnips. Really delicious. She originally got it from Julia Child's Mastering the Art... here's Nora Ephron's very similar version of same: http://www.npr.org/templates...

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

This one is lovely:
https://food52.com/recipes...

Just thought of another traditional French method (they like their turnips!) that's very easy: put whole peeled baby turnips - cut larger ones into chunks - in a skillet with a generous lump of butter, a couple teaspoons of sugar (should be lightly sweet, not candy) and s&p. Add water to just cover, and simmer until it cooks out, the turnips are tender and the sugar/butter forms a caramelized glaze. Toss as you go to coat evenly. To serve, sprinkle on a little more coarse salt and maybe some chopped parsley.

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

It's not a summer thing, but my Bolivian mother-in-law used a lot of grated turnips in soups. They go in with the chopped onion and grated carrots and cook down to be soft and nearly indistinguishable while giving good flavor.

Not a turnip love either, but I've made a risotto with braised turnips, turnip greens and bacon a few times that's delicious. Keywords turnips bacon and risotto on Epicurious.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

There is a vendor at out farmers market that makes amaziing pickled turnips - they are just slightly sweet and the spices are I think standard pickling spices - they are smaller turnips, very thinly sliced.

I enjoy small, mild turnips steamed or braised, or grated into a slaw. Large, strong-tasting ones I usually either cut up and roast or turn into sauerruben (a fermented pickle made exactly like sauerkraut, but with grated turnip rather than cabbage; uses up a lot and keeps for months in the fridge) or kimchi.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

The only turnip I have experience with is the Hakurei, but man do I love those things. Roast em, eat em raw over a salad/taco/soup/noodles/anything, pickle em... Lots of uses, but my favorite is slicing them thinly onto a baguette smeared with butter and a little salt, French-style.

D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

i've been meaning to try this one! https://food52.com/recipes...

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Wow, these sound fantastic. I think I'll start with the bacon risotto.

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

If you refer to the tender spring variety, reminiscent of a slightly sweet radish, here are a bunch more recipes, all of which I love (the turnip green pasta is especially wonderful!)

http://food52.com/blog...

I am less familiar with the tougher, more robust fall turnips, but would also start with roasting them for grain bowls and thevlikes … in Southern Austria they are also shredded and fermented, very similar to Sauerkraut. Not too fond of that (it’s a texture thing), but it’s a part of traditional christmas eve meals with freshly smoked then simmered sausages, sauerkraut, dark rye bread and all the mustard & horseradish. If you’d like I can ask for a proper recipe, but personally I think a kimchi approach might suit them even better!