🔕 🔔

Canned diced tomatoes for gazpacho?

Most recipes call for tomato juice but can I just used canned diced tomatoes instead and throw in a blender?

asked by Natalie over 1 year ago

I would do it. Mind the gazpacho might be thicker, and I would use no salt toms. If you only have salted, just watch the flavoring like a hawk. I confess to being an adaptor when it comes to making some recipes. Good luck!

74a8b832 b12d 440e b912 e083fe6db820  grapefruit1

I prefer fresh produce, but if it is not available, go ahead and blend them. Watch the seasoning, add some lemon juice and olive oil.

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

A gazpacho should be a showcase of good summer vegetables....I would use only fresh.

You are correct in that many recipes for gazpacho call for tomato juice. To my palate, it is a bit too bland, though it can be spiced up and all that. Still, the tomatoey depth of flavor just isn't there. For that reason, your idea of using canned tomatoes is very appealing. Fresh tomatoes would be lovely, but it's a bit early in the season for them in many parts of the country (such as mine, in the Northern Rockies). And if you use fresh tomatoes, they would need to be blanched and peeled. If it's too hot to turn on a hair dryer, it's too hot to heat anything beyond water for coffee in the morning. 95 degrees as we speak, at nearly 7 p.m. As for the canned tomatoes, I'd suggest using the best you can find: San Marzano whole tomatoes. They're skinned, yet still whole, meaning that you're getting a lot of tomatoes for your buck(s). If you are fortunate enough to have a Lucky's Market nearby, you can find a large can for around $4 as opposed to diced tomatoes, which are more juice than tomatoes,. Worth every penny. Please let us know how your gazpacho turns out.

420908ad 651e 46ac b88a 9cfbd6c602e3  open uri20141010 31964 ysrmyy

I allways use caned if they are colde it is ready in minuts

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I think good quality canned tomatoes can make an excellent smooth gazpacho, and will probably have better tomato flavor than most tomato juice. I wouldn't make the chunkier sort of gazpacho with them (but then I don't really like the chunkier type at all).

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I use canned but make sure they are Italian. American ones are canned with under ripe tomatoes with too much salt and chemicals.