Canned diced tomatoes for gazpacho?

Most recipes call for tomato juice but can I just used canned diced tomatoes instead and throw in a blender?

asked by Natalie about 3 years ago

Saffron3

I would do it. Mind the gazpacho might be thicker, and I would use no salt toms. If you only have salted, just watch the flavoring like a hawk. I confess to being an adaptor when it comes to making some recipes. Good luck!

LauraMaria Ruzo

I prefer fresh produce, but if it is not available, go ahead and blend them. Watch the seasoning, add some lemon juice and olive oil.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

A gazpacho should be a showcase of good summer vegetables....I would use only fresh.

You are correct in that many recipes for gazpacho call for tomato juice. To my palate, it is a bit too bland, though it can be spiced up and all that. Still, the tomatoey depth of flavor just isn't there. For that reason, your idea of using canned tomatoes is very appealing. Fresh tomatoes would be lovely, but it's a bit early in the season for them in many parts of the country (such as mine, in the Northern Rockies). And if you use fresh tomatoes, they would need to be blanched and peeled. If it's too hot to turn on a hair dryer, it's too hot to heat anything beyond water for coffee in the morning. 95 degrees as we speak, at nearly 7 p.m. As for the canned tomatoes, I'd suggest using the best you can find: San Marzano whole tomatoes. They're skinned, yet still whole, meaning that you're getting a lot of tomatoes for your buck(s). If you are fortunate enough to have a Lucky's Market nearby, you can find a large can for around $4 as opposed to diced tomatoes, which are more juice than tomatoes,. Worth every penny. Please let us know how your gazpacho turns out.

Jenny Maria

I allways use caned if they are colde it is ready in minuts

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I think good quality canned tomatoes can make an excellent smooth gazpacho, and will probably have better tomato flavor than most tomato juice. I wouldn't make the chunkier sort of gazpacho with them (but then I don't really like the chunkier type at all).

bigpan

I use canned but make sure they are Italian. American ones are canned with under ripe tomatoes with too much salt and chemicals.