🔕 🔔

Sunflower seed flour - tips for baking grain free quiche crust

I am trying to make a quiche crust with grain-free and nut-free ingredients. I have a great almond flour recipe but want to cater towards my nut-free friends!

I read that I need to soak and dry sunflower seeds before baking with them because of some acid, but wanted to know if anyone had advice on using as a crust ingredient or what flavors go best with it!

Thanks

asked by Katie Athaide 7 days ago
Z

My local bulk food store (Bulk Barn, here in Canada) sells ground pepitas, which I've successfully substituted for almond flour in several recipes. While the end product can be green-ish due to the colour of the pepitas, the texture and flavour is always good. I always assume cross-contamination when I'm buying bulk, but have considered grinding "safe" pepitas, unsoaked, when I'm baking for my nut-allergic friends.

No sunflower seed info, but yes a quiche-like spinach torta with a non-gluten crust.
Developed for Passover, when people get tired of matzo and matzo-crust.
If paleo is optional, then have a look at this. Use the whole recipe or just the potato crust.
http://www.joyofkosher...

ktr

I've subbed homemade sunflower seed flour for almond flour in a cake recipe. The only way anyone knew was that the cake turned greenish-blue on the inside. My in laws were concerned at first glance but my kids thought it was great!

ktr

Oh, I did not soak the seeds. I just tossed them in my blender and processed them until they turned into flour. You could sift them if you are worried about getting out the larger pieces.