🔕 🔔

I love brussel sprouts. What is a new, fun way to make them?

asked by @YaliSzulanski almost 7 years ago

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

See Amanda's salad recipe on this site! I've also had them shredded in a mustardy-kind of slaw.

This isn't new and I'm not sure about fun, but I LOVE this recipe (and I don't even like sprouts that much):
http://www.epicurious.com...

C2d97ab1 c2d2 4bd9 9295 fd6fc285dc98  sg headshot oct 2007

Susie's Sprouts: Okay...this I really want to share. I wouldn't have touched a Brussels sprout, even if it hit me in the forehead until I was forced to choose between beets or Brussels sprouts last year and the sprouts won. Not only that (I just had them for lunch today) but we are addicted!

Wash, dry and half your sprouts. Place the halves in a plastic bag. Toss with olive oil mixed with salt, coursely ground pepper and any of a variety of herbs you may like: chopped rosemary, thyme, garlic powder...not actual garlic because it browns and bitters very quickly. I eyeball the amounts of everything to taste. Close and toss sprouts in the bag a few times over the course of a few hours or even better, over night. Saute them cut side down, single-layered, in a large pan on medium hot temp until they are brown. Add more olive oil if there is none left in the bag (butter or bacon drippings for a slightly different essence). As you begin to turn them leaves will fall off. I separate the leaves from the sprout heads as they cook more quickly, getting them nicely crispy (and addictive), but you can saute them all together, too, stirring often. Just about this time move the more well done leaves and smaller heads to your serving dish, and then it's just a short time before they are all done. This is a love story. Can't wait to see other recipes.

Roast them ! Roast them ! Roast them !

Clean the sprouts (no water), pulling off the discolored, wilted outer leaves. Cut them in half (quarters only if they're huge) and toss them with a good glug of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. If you have some hardy fresh herbs, like rosemary, add a bit of that in as well. You can do this in a bowl, or I just do it right on the sheet pan, and moosh everything around with my hands, making sure all surfaces of the sprouts are covered with the goodness. Make sure the sprouts are in a single layer in your pan, put the pan into a pre-heated 400° oven, and roast for about 7 minutes. Pull the pan out, turn the sprouts over, and put back in for another 5-7 minutes. You can squeeze a bit of lemon juice (just a bit...a tiny bit) over before service, but serve and swoon. They are so good ! No more than 20 minutes total.