The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

One potato, two potato....

Getting gearing up for warmer times and have been thinking about this. When making potato salad, how many potatoes do you make per person, or do you estimate by the pound? I always end up using more than needed and to me, potato salad only tastes best on the day it is made. After that, the potatoes seem mealy or dry.

asked about 2 months ago

added about 2 months ago

I estimate by the pound. Potato salad is usually served in a situation where you don't really know how much (or little) is going to be eaten. I would always err on the side of "too much." Then again, I have no aversion to leftover potato salad.

added about 2 months ago

Funny, I find most recipes are better the next day. I will agree that when I usually make too much, the pile of whole potatoes never looks as much as they do once cooked and cut up.

283aaeb7 c91c 4441 9375 ea3c70af8566  125tomato14

added about 2 months ago

Maybe it's the type of potato I'm using, Yukon Gold. What do you use?

added about 2 months ago

Red (Bliss?) usually. Maybe occasionally some other thin skinned "new" potato. I have never bought Yukon Gold.

added about 2 months ago

Especially since we don't know quantity of potatoes you are using now, use trial & error.
Make your regular potato salad (keeping notes on potato volume).
Then, regular less a noticeable amount (say, 1/5 volume). See if you have leftovers with your crowd. If no, stop there and use that measure for futures.
If yes leftovers, rinse & repeat until you reach best volume for your family, friends, occasions. :)