🔕 🔔

Turbinado sugar for pie

I'm new to turbinado sugar...love the crunch! Does it work for pie (inside)?? I'm making Smitten Kitchen's peach pie and wondering if I can use turbinado with the fruit: http://smittenkitchen.com...

asked by Dani over 2 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

You certainly can, but it won't be crunchy... I'd suggest sprinkling the sugar over the top of the pie as soon as it comes out of the oven. The heat slightly melts the sugar but it retains its texture.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Yes; the sugar will dissolve in the filling. You could also do an egg or milk wash on top of the crust and sprinkle some on which would keep its crunch.

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Absolutely! I sprinkle raw and turbinado sugar on pies, scones, croissants, etc. before baking and it keeps its texture but adds to caramelization. And adding it to the filling is certainly doable, but you tend to lose the nuance.

I think that a pie would be one of the few recipes where it wouldn't mess with the recipe too much; it just might not dissolve as well so you might get sort of uneven sweetness, but if there's any recipe where you can try it and see if it's too your liking, it would certainly be safe to try it in pie (or cobbler/crisp/crumble).