A rather corn-y question

I have two ears of corn to use tonight. What should I do with them?

Assistant Editor at Food52

scruz

unshucked, either roast in oven or on the grill. rub with a bit of olive oil and lightly salt. then enjoy it.

Ali Slagle

I have two ears of corn, too! I plan make pizza with the corn, tomatoes, mozzarella, cilantro, and green onions—maybe squeeze some lime on there, too.

Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm
Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm

Assistant Editor at Food52

your pizza makes me want to weep tears of joy

Stephanie

Ooh, fresh corn season! Two thoughts immediately come to mind...
Mexican Street Corn: grill it, smear it (with Mexican crema or sour cream), sprinkle it (with cotija, chili powder, cilantro), spritz it (with lime juice)
Corn Salad: https://food52.com/recipes... or https://food52.com/recipes...

former Community Editor

The perfect amount for Merrill's salad: https://food52.com/recipes... I'm making it tonight!

(Was there a memo that everyone should eat corn tonight?)

Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm
Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm

Assistant Editor at Food52

aw. man. yes! this salad is an absolutely gem.

p.s. there was a memo, entitled "one hunky husk."

Caroline Lange

this also sounds amazing! https://food52.com/recipes...

Cook both ears. (I gently steam for a few minutes in a large skillet, tightly covered.) Eat one.

Cut off the kernels of the other and save to use in these Masa Harina corn cakes later this week: https://food52.com/recipes... Serve with savory black beans and an arugula salad full of dead-ripe summer tomatoes (and stir some tomato, diced, into the black beans too, while you're at it.)

This evening, save the corn cobs AND the husks - which are full of flavor, but often overlooked - to make stock.

If you don't want to use canned black beans and don't have any in your freezer, use the stock to make the black beans. Add to the cooking black beans as many finely chopped cilantro stems as you can rustle up. You'll never want black beans made any other way. ;o)

louisez

Yes to all of the above -- plus: cut kernels from cobs and add to corn muffin or bread batter; pan roast and add to salad (or eat as is)

While it isn't dinner, corn can be very nice dessert,
http://www.thekitchn.com...

Em
Em

From the second the corn is picked, the sugars in the kernels start to transform into starch. If your corn is very fresh, make the best of that maize goodness and cook it simply: soak then grill, then husk and grill again. Or husk then steam or boil. If your corn isn't fresh from the fields, you could also cut it off the cob and use it in stirfries with cherry tomatoes, pasta with shrimp and cilantro, or with black beans.

sonya

Cook's Country Farmstand Corn Fritters:

Makes 12 fritters

Serve these crisp corn fritters with almost anything from the grill. The batter can be covered and refrigerated up to 4 hours.
Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds fresh corn (2 large or 3 to 4 medium ears), husks and silk removed
1 large egg, beaten lightly
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 small shallot, minced
1/2 teaspoon table salt
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup corn oil or vegetable oil, or more as needed

Instructions

1. Using chef’s knife, cut kernels from 1 to 2 ears corn and place in bowl (you should have about 1 cup whole kernels). Grate kernels from remaining 1 to 2 ears on large holes of box grater (you should have generous 1/2 cup grated kernels) into bowl with cut kernels. Using back of knife, scrape any pulp remaining on all cobs into bowl. Stir in egg, flour, cornmeal, cream, shallot, salt, and cayenne.

2. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Drop 6 heaping tablespoonfuls batter in pan. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer fritters to plate lined with paper towels. If necessary, add more oil to skillet and heat until shimmering; fry remaining batter. Serve fritters immediately.