how to line loaf pan with parchment

do I grease the pan as well as the parchment? How do I get the parchment to not fold all over and wrinkle?

• Posted by: Karen S
  • August 2, 2015

PieceOfLayerCake August 2, 2015

Depending on what you're making, I often cut a strip that is as wide as the length of the loaf pan, and approximately 4 times the length of the base. I use it as a sort of a sling. Its much easier than trying to fit paper in the actual pan. I grease the pan, stick the sling in, grease the sling. What I then do after I've filled the pan with batter is fold the wings of the sling (hee hee) outward so it doesn't fold in and cover the batter.

Karen S
Karen S August 2, 2015

thanks! I will try it.

PieceOfLayerCake August 3, 2015

I meant 4 times the WIDTH of the base.

Voted the Best Reply!

JulieS
JulieS August 3, 2015

You can also try, turning the pan upside down. Measure out the parchment over that (sort of like you're wrapping a gift), measure out the parchment, mark with pencil and cut. Then cut slits for the corners, so it fits in nicely to the pan. If you spray the pan with non-stick spray, the parchment will stay nicely.

creamtea August 5, 2015

This is what I do too. I buy a pre-cut brand from the organic section of my market that is very handy. I slit the corners and fit it into the pan. I then cut a deep "V" into the corners (not all the way--I leave a seam "allowance"). Works like a charm.

boulangere August 3, 2015

Perfect, Julie S. That's exactly what I do.

boulangere August 3, 2015

sonya
sonya August 10, 2015

I can see how this would be confusing! The recipe is asking you to line just the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, not the sides. The easiest way to do this is to set your loaf pan down on the parchment paper and use a pen or pencil to trace all around the bottom of the pan, leaning the writing instrument in towards the pan to make the rectangular as small as possible. Then just cut around the line that you drew. You might find it useful to spray a bit of spray in the bottom of your pan before you put the parchment in there, just to help it stay in place. Once you place the parchment in the pan, you want to grease the pan's sides and even the bottom of the parchment paper, for extra insurance and because the sides of the pan will never be able to be lined with parchment. Same with any cake pan, which I've done dozens of times. Hope it worked out well!