how to line loaf pan with parchment

do I grease the pan as well as the parchment? How do I get the parchment to not fold all over and wrinkle?

asked by Karen S almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Depending on what you're making, I often cut a strip that is as wide as the length of the loaf pan, and approximately 4 times the length of the base. I use it as a sort of a sling. Its much easier than trying to fit paper in the actual pan. I grease the pan, stick the sling in, grease the sling. What I then do after I've filled the pan with batter is fold the wings of the sling (hee hee) outward so it doesn't fold in and cover the batter.

Karen S

thanks! I will try it.

I meant 4 times the WIDTH of the base.

Perfect, Julie S. That's exactly what I do.

sonya

I can see how this would be confusing! The recipe is asking you to line just the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, not the sides. The easiest way to do this is to set your loaf pan down on the parchment paper and use a pen or pencil to trace all around the bottom of the pan, leaning the writing instrument in towards the pan to make the rectangular as small as possible. Then just cut around the line that you drew. You might find it useful to spray a bit of spray in the bottom of your pan before you put the parchment in there, just to help it stay in place. Once you place the parchment in the pan, you want to grease the pan's sides and even the bottom of the parchment paper, for extra insurance and because the sides of the pan will never be able to be lined with parchment. Same with any cake pan, which I've done dozens of times. Hope it worked out well!