I have a recipe that calls for 2.25 ounces of egg yolks and I want to make it easier for others to follow without having to use a scale.

Would anyone know the conversion for this?

• Posted by: JulieS
  • August 3, 2015

702551
702551 August 3, 2015

About 3.5 yolks based on a Google search of "egg yolk weight."

ChefJune August 3, 2015

I would put a cup on the scale and put in as many egg yolks as it takes to weigh 2.25 ounces. Then you can give the info from experience.

boulangere August 3, 2015

Cooking/baking recipes are predicated on Large eggs. The average Large egg yolk weighs .66 ounces. Doing the math, 2.25 divided by .66 yields 3.41 yolks. Round up and call it 4.

Susan W August 3, 2015

I find that my egg yolks weigh .75 ounces each, so 3 would be perfect. My eggs are from pastured hens..I wonder if they are heavier than grocery store yolks? Food for thought.

caninechef
caninechef August 4, 2015

My experience is that most young hens of breeds popular with small batch poultry operations are more likely to produce extra large or jumbo eggs.

Susan W August 4, 2015

They are large (as in not extra large) eggs, but I was at a friend's house over the weekend and made omelets for breakfast. I noticed my eggs have yolks that are plumper and a darker orange. My farmer also sells produce in shares and I see his hens eating lots of beets and carrots along with the bugs they find while happily pecking around.