anyone know if you can make pasta out of cauliflower?

without using grains - trying to make it paleo

asked by ErinS286 almost 6 years ago

Chef Lisa

Can't imagine how you could make that work. Nothing to bind it.

ErinS286

eggs to bind

I make cauliflower couscous, which is form of pasta. Super easy with a food processor.
http://food52.com/recipes...

You can also get a vegetable turner..(the kind used to make radish threads at Japaneese resturants)..and turn out long strands of Zucchini..for a veggie 'pasta'.
Pricy Model: http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN5-Turner-Slicer/dp/B00032RZUS
and slightly less pricy model:
http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN7-Cook-Helper-Slicer/dp/B000BI6CZ8/ref=pd_sim_k_6

FutureChef

Using 'blaisian' technique you can achieve 'impasta'. Blais was actually on the chew earlier today and made chicken stock 'impasta' for his no carb-'carbonara'. Clever he is! Anyway technique would be the same as long as you just get a super amazing cauliflower purée to start off with (I'm thinking immersion blender and chinois probably). Recipe should be on show site. Otherwise VoltInk has saur kraut noodles and again same concept.

Sounds like it would be yummy, if it's at all possible. what are the paleo diet rules, exactly?

I do what Sam suggests, make veggie "fettuccine" by using a vegetable peeler and making long thin strands of zucchini, carrot, parsnip, etc.

Also, spaghetti squash makes amazing "spaghetti".

Spaghetti squash: Oh geeze...I loved it...until last year I burn the heck out of one..and now, that smell and flavor is entangled into my brain; it may take another year to clear and brain to reboot.

PazzoNico

You might be able to make gnocchi. Use half starchy potatoes (like russets), half cauliflower (that has been steamed/boil and mashed - preferably through a ricer). Then for the flour part of it, use almond or coconut flour. And egg if you want.
(Never tried this, but it might work)
Gnudi are another possible option, using egg, ricotta, and parmigiano or pecorino as a binder. Again, almond/coconut flour might work. I just don't know if this flour is suitable for pasta making because of it's lack of gluten.
Tapioca starch or xanthan gum maybe?
Just brainstorming....good luck.

darksideofthespoon

I want gnocchi now! I think that's a great idea, and I may have to try it.

A friend of ours experimented with cauliflower - no flour - pizza dough and said it was a huge success! So I don't see why not.

FutureChef

Another option might be to play around with it I the style of northern Italian passatelli noodles. Breadcrumbs, eggs, and cheese through a potato ricer. Maybe back off on the eggs (just one) and substitute the rest with cauliflower. I think it would work plus be fast, versatile, and delicious.

thirteenJ

I've been using cauliflower in place of pasta. Just steam or saute bite size florets and serve with my favorite roasted tomato marinara!