mayonnaise

are you for or against mayonnaise? are there any ways you eat mayo that others might consider strange? what's your favorite way to eat it? make your case!

HalfPint August 5, 2015

I love mayo, a good mayo. In moderation, it adds a richness without overpowering the flavor of the other ingredients. Because of the fat in it, it enhances flavors and seasonings that can get muted when left 'dry'.

Strange way I enjoy it: on a baked potato with black olives & pepperoncinis. This 'recipe' came from a former roommate who got it from her Korean Auntie. Despite having a good spoon or two of mayo on it, the potato doesn't taste heavy or 'mayonnaise-y'.

My favorite way to eat mayo is using it to make my grilled cheese sandwich instead of butter.

Susan W August 5, 2015

I love mayo. I make my own and use it often. I use it for all the normal things. BLTs, egg salad, chicken salad etc. I like to put a thin coating on lamb chops and fish before grilling. I like making Alabama white BBQ sauce with it. Jeff Mauro makes a simple and tasty version.

Nancy August 5, 2015

Like Susan W, I love mayo, make it often, use Hellmann's when I buy commercial. Occasionally as the fat in a cake, or a bread (I find the egg and emulsification give the cakes moistness), as base for quick sauces or dips, or as moist coating (alone or with mustard) for something like chicken or fish to be coated in bread crumbs or nut crust (adapted a Julia Child recipe for these last two). And in all the usual sandwiches and salads.

702551
702551 August 5, 2015

I find it peculiar that some people are "against" mayonnaise. It's egg yolk and oil, two of the most ancient food ingredients.

I eat very little of it, mostly as a condiment on sandwiches. I occasionally make a vegetable dipping sauce: mayo, hot paprika, lemon juice.

Hillary Reeves
Hillary Reeves August 5, 2015

LOVE mayo. I used to eat it straight out of the jar as a kid before someone told me that it was "disgusting."

My favorite way to eat it: I smother roasted chicken in mayonnaise and scoop it off my plate with crusty bread.

PieceOfLayerCake August 5, 2015

There are few things quite as polarizing as mayo.

A thin layer of quite tangy mayo on a BLT is my idea of heaven...but in general, I could leave it. It should taste intensely acidic, in my opinion, so that it can be used sparingly but with maximum effect....and its one of those things that should just always be homemade.

boulangere August 5, 2015

When I was a graduate student in Minneapolis, 4 years shy of moving to California for 30 years, my favorite burger at the local haunt was the California burger. Served with a slice of tomato and red onion and a side of mayo. It's my favorite combo to this day, for my own and on burger buffets at work. My husband hated mayo any and everywhere. One of my great pleasures since he died is to eat it any and everywhere I please. And I always raise a loving toast to him when I do and share an imaginary laugh.

arcane54
arcane54 August 8, 2015

What a sweet memory to share, thank you! My mother and I throw stuffed olives into the lake where we spread my dad's ashes, celebrating their anniversary or his birthday. Food prompts all the range of memories, doesn't it? When I am enjoying Mexican food, I often think of an old BF who broke my heart (and spared me an unpleasant future). He hated the smell of cumin, so after he moved out I ate Mexican food until I couldn't stand it anymore. Take that, you heartbreaker!

Kristen W.
Kristen W. August 6, 2015

I have a hard time with it but can eat it in certain contexts: chicken and tuna salad, certain salad dressings if it's offset by other strong flavors. I absolutely cannot eat spread it on a sandwich or a burger, however; it actually makes me gag. Homemade is marginally more tolerable for me but I still don't think I could eat it on a sandwich. I know it's just egg yolks and oil, neither if which gross me out separately, but once emulsified it's a whole other thing to me.

Fernando @ Eating With Your Hands

One of my favorite salads are as simple as tuna, chopped scallions and mayo to hold it all together. As the late bloomer I am in almost everything food-related, I have discovered Kewpie mayo and I feel blessed!

Voted the Best Reply!

Bevi
Bevi August 6, 2015

I have the best memories of eating lettuce and fresh tomato sandwiches with a good smearing of mayonnaise. You just can't go wrong.

boulangere August 6, 2015

Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight, Bevi, with a great big salad.

Bevi
Bevi August 7, 2015

Do you like lettuce in your tomato sandwiches? Sometimes I leave the lettuce out so the bread gets slightly soggy. And I also salt my sandwiches.

boulangere August 7, 2015

Yes, definitely lettuce for its crunch, Bevi. And salt, absolutely. Both the tomatoes and lettuce are infinitely better if still warm, straight out of the garden.

sonya
sonya August 10, 2015

I like mayo, and I like to add flavorings (there are several recipes in The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook that we like), such as lemon-thyme or chipotle, and then serve them as dipping sauces or with fish tacos or what have you.