Can you freeze eggplant parmesan after baking?

Or does the eggplant get watery and dilute the dish?

Thanks in advance!

asked by Melanie K. about 3 years ago

Courtney C

I found this post - http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/can-freeze-eggplant-parmesan-after-baking-it-29424.html, which gives a really thorough description of how best to freeze (and thaw after freezing) to avoid a diluted dish. Eggplant parm is a favorite of mine - so very jealous right now.

Melanie K.

Thanks for the link! And no need to be jealous, I haven't made it yet. ;-)

Yes. Eggplant parmesan is one of those things, like lasagna, that is best made in large doses. To freeze them, I like to refrigerate the leftovers overnight so that they set up well. Then I cut them into individual serving sizes and wrap each one in good quality plastic wrap, then freeze them. It makes it very easy to thaw and reheat only as much as you need.

Melanie K.

Thank you! Refrigerating overnight is a great idea, I'm definitely going to do that.

Bevi

Cynthia, I do the same thing with great success.

beejay45

Reheating/rebaking in the oven helps to evaporate the liquid that may separate after thawing. It's been my experience that using the microwave exacerbates the problem...of course, you should let it set before serving so some of it may reabsorb. Failing that, you can just pour it off/dab it up with paper towels. :)

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris