Curds and whey not separating

I am making the cheese from Le Pigoen's Jacked Pork Chops, I have done it several times with no problem - this time I doubled the recipe and the curds and whey have not separated. Should I re-heat? Add more lemon? Cry? Other? Oh recipe is 1 gallon whole milk, 2 c lemon juice, 1/2 c kosher salt, 2 tsp white vinegar and I threw in some fresh thyme.

asked about 3 years ago

Not sure how things played out for you, but when making ricotta in large quantities (gallon of milk), I find that it takes quite a long time for the curds to form. I generally let it simmer for at least few minutes, and then wait about 20 minutes before I touch it. Also, I'm sure you know that stirring or even moving a spoon or spatula in the pot will break up the curds with surprising efficiency. Let us know what happened! ;o)

cookbookchick

Aha! So that's why I had such difficulty recently when I decided to make ricotta from a gallon of milk.Thanks, AJ!

AJ you are dead-on, my husband and Mrs W talked me down :-) and I waited, and they separated, and I checked the cheese this morning and it is glorious!!

sonya

When I make ricotta using the Cook's Illustrated recipe, they note that if you don't see separation, add a bit more lemon juice or vinegar and wait another 10 minutes. Crying is always an option too ;)