I am making ricotta and it is not forming curds. I used a gallon of whole milk with salt then took it off heat when temp. Reached 180, added a bot more than 1/3 cup white vinegar and let it sit. How can I fix this?

ChefDaddy

I think that 180F maybe not hot enough. Although your ratio's are correct a few degrees could make a difference. Try going 185F-190F.

pollygirl

can i save the one sitting in my sink?

ChefDaddy

Oh, one other thing. Don't use "ULTRA" pasturized milk. It won't work. Pasturized is fine just not ultra pasturized. I hope this helps!

Panfusine

try squeezing 1/2 a lemon's worth of juice into it..

ChefDaddy

Panfusine has a good Idea to help try to recover your existing batch but if you used ultra pasturized milk I don't think it will work but it's worth a try.

melissav

I would return it to the pot and heat it more. Remove from heat once you start seeing curds.

I've had the same thing happen, and adding more acid brought it all together. Still, would be a good idea to reheat.

pollygirl

thanks - I did put it all back in the pot, went a bit over 180 this time and added another 1/3 c of vinegar. Kept it on the heat for a bit until I saw curds - It produced about 4 cups and it tastes fine. Yay!