A question about a recipe: Olia Hercules' Watermelon Rind Jam

1a7f7d7b 7d77 4438 9353 73d50482add3  2015 0804 watermelon rind jam bobbi lin 5785

I have a question about the recipe "Olia Hercules' Watermelon Rind Jam" from Genius Recipes. Is the lime peeled first?

asked by Sarah Barchichat almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm going to say no since that would be a pretty important detail to overlook. A 50 minute cook should render the skins soft enough to eat pleasantly, and peeling them will eliminate the lovely citrus oils.

I have not made this recipe but in reading it I would venture to say no, it is not peeled. It's like candied citrus peel it takes on a different texture and flavor when cooked in a sugary mixture and is quite delicious.

It's not peeled, and it does soften and sort of candy, as PieceOfLayerCake and sdebrango were saying. It will give the jam a delicious smell, and a little tartness and pleasant bitterness, like a marmalade.