You might like to look at my blog https://nyculinaryfinds...
I wrote about food treasures in NYC

hchambers86

Hi Suchi!

I am a Brooklyn based New Yorker who loves food, and more than that, loves making food itineraries for visitors! If you message me directly with your email address, I'd be happy to send you some of my local favorites.

Halley

Bevi

With a month on your hands, visit Brooklyn - the Botanical Gardens, the Brooklyn Museum, the various Brooklyn Fleas and Smorgasburgs. BAM is located near the main subway station, and you can see great theater there. Roberta's restaurant is in Brooklyn, as are many many other great eating places. It sounds like you might have already visited the Highline, but the new Whitney is at the start of the walk and the views and layout are both great.

Kris

Pizza at dumbo. I usually don't eat at the Grimaldi's but at Juliana and loved it each time. You must already be aware of kaati roll and mammoon falafel otherwise check it out. Vatan is pricey but really popular for Gujrati thalis. You might be thinking that you don't want to eat indian food in ny, but it's way better than elsewhere.

Jennifer Morris

Give The Butcher's Daughter a try. As with many NYC spots, it's small(ish) so get there early or expect to wait. > http://thebutchersdaughter...

Jennifer Morris

Oh and Shanti Shack cafe in Williamsburg is delicious. It's inside a yoga studio and and has four stools, but isn't designed for a sit down dinner. Plan to eat in the small loft or plan to take your food elsewhere (e.g. the park or bench outside). I'd recommend taking a yoga class too. The yoga studio (it's in Williamsburg): http://www.kulayoga.com... The cafe: http://www.shantishack... Aftewards, stop in at Depanneur for a coffee and fun selection of local/artisan treats and supplied: http://www.yelp.com/biz...

Jennifer Morris

Jen again. :) I've not tried this place but my neighbors and friends rave about these vegan doughnuts: http://www.yelp.com/biz...

catherine margaret o'donnell

Vatan is a delicious gujarti indian restaurant. The menu is prix fixe and all vegetarian.
409 3rd Ave New York, NY 10016
b/t 28th St & 29th St

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens

Assistant Editor, Food52

Pok Pok is my all-time favorite, though I haven't been since they closed their bar next door which was the best (it's a trek to Red Hook, but worth it!), and Uncle Boon's and Prune (for brunch!!) in Manhattan are both wonderful. If you're getting takeout, get Xi'an Famous Foods for their spinach dumplings. (I'm on an Asian food kick today...) For a beautiful (relatively expensive) vegetarian meal, go to Semilla in Brooklyn! Craft also has delicious vegetables but it's very scene-y. (And avoid Midtown altogether, but if you find yourself there, get drinks at Betony.)... I'm sure others will have tips on the bakeries! But of course, go to Breads Bakery in Union Square... going to stop myself—I could go all day! Have fun!

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens

Assistant Editor, Food52

Because I can't stop: All'onda, Contra, Lupulo, Luksus/Tørst, Jin Ramen in UWS, Alder if it's still open, skip Dimes, Employees Only for drinks (skip Please Don't Tell)... okay sorry got excited! Over and out.

For authentic, truly local Italian markets, forget Eataly and take a short subway trek to Arthur Ave. in the Bronx. (Or to get closer, take Metro North from Grand Central.) Really fun, not touristy, and better prices. Little Italy doesn't really exist anymore, and I think Arthur Ave. is probably better than it ever was. Btw, this site is invaluable for navigating on mass transit, if you're not too familiar (the only way to travel in NYC): https://www.hopstop.com/

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

From the sweet side of things
- Bien Cuit
- Lafayette
- Dominique Ansel
- Levain
- Sullivan Street Bakery
- Francois Payard
- Four and Twenty Blackbirds
- Maison Kayser
- Silver Moon Bakery
- Almondine
- Ovenly

Yes to two I know - Francois Payard (patisserie for lunch or tea & desserts or bakery), Sullivan Street Bakery, especially for bread.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

If you have time to go to Staten Island, Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is a lovely place to visit. After that you can stop by Sri Lankan delis in Staten Island, they have lovely vegetarian food... Jackfruit curry at New Asha is my favorite.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Bakeri [disclaimer - i work at the Greenpoint location], Abraço (closed Mondays), Dual Specialty for "groceries," Arcade Bakery, Lighthouse Brooklyn, Ilili, Doughnut Plant, Falansai, Maman, Superiority Burger, North End Grill, Betony, Untitled at The Whitney, The Highline, La New Yorkina paletas, El rey, Morgansterns ice cream, The Mastic store on Orchard street, Russ & Daughters Cafe, Semilla, Bushwick Coop - for - quinoa arepas, Black Pearl sheep milk yogurt, Ithaca dairy - all at exceptionally low prices, She Wolf Bakery at Union Sq. Farmers Market. Have so much fun exploring!

Not only La newyorkina's Paletas, but also her doughnuts. (Worth every calorie!) at Dough Doughnuts in both Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Triomphe in the Iroquois Hotel (44th Street between 5th and 6th) has beautiful food, gentle ambiance, super bar and lovely vegetarian options. Also Fonda for authentic Mexican, much of it vegetarian.

bamcnamara

Balthazaar, the Oyster Bar in Grand Central, several new places have opened downtown (Financial District) including in Brookfield Place http://brookfieldplaceny... also agree Arthur Avenue is def worth the trip! Have fun!!!!!

Emily Love

Momofuku/Milk Bar ?!

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

It just occurred to me... I am assuming you have been to the Union Square market, Chelsea Market and other favorite touristy destinations. In case you have not been to the Essex Street market on the Lower East Side, it is well worth the visit.