AARGH! We boiled a bunch of eggs and refrigerated them and the yolks are still runny! Can I recook them, or are they destined for the garbage? Thanks, pickle friends!

• Posted by: drbabs
  • January 4, 2011

aargersi January 4, 2011

Hmmm ... I would reboil one and see what happens - I am afraid the whites will turn to super rubber though. Maybe you could make some fabulous deviled eggs with a hot component in the yolk part that would cook them the rest of the way? Like a sort of riff on a hollandaise or something??

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner January 4, 2011

You can, but they'll get rubbery. I'd suggest inviting over some friends, gently warming your soft-cooked eggs in a hot water bath, and making a whole bunch of toast soldiers instead ;D Brunch party!

pierino January 4, 2011

DrBabs, I think you already know the answer to that. Toss 'em. My method for cooking hard eggs is to place them in water, bring it to a boil, and remove from the eat and then after 18 minutes remove the eggs and plunge into a bowl of cold water. My recollection is that you have an electric range which could be contributing to your problem. Ha! Ha! I just got rid of mine.

drbabs January 4, 2011

@pierino, that is exactly what we did. Exactly. And yes, we do have a stupid glass-topped electric range. And no natural gas in our neighborhood. So we're kind of stuck. Thanks, everyone!