Making plum bars a day ahead?

I want to make this recipe for a breakfast meeting tomorrow morning:

http://www.apt2bbakingco...

They are plum bars with a cookie crust and a crumble topping. Usually I make fruit desserts on the day I play to serve them, but do not want to get up at the crack of dawn to do this in the morning. Will they get soggy? I do realize that I could make the bottom this afternoon and the filling and crumble in the morning, but they're also supposed to be completely cool when served, so I would still be looking at the crack of dawn:)

asked by erinbdm about 3 years ago

mickle

Can you substitute an equal amount of white flour for the wheat flour?

jilhil

The crumble gets a bit soggy when you bake a day ahead, but it will still taste good. We used to make a crumble topped bar cookie with halved Italian prunes- any crumble that covered the prunes got very soft but the crumble on the cake part retained some crunch the next day.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I think they will be just fine. In my experience, when fruit bars are fully cooked, unlike fruit pies, the smaller ratio of fruit doesn't retain that much juice. Streusel, in general, will soften over time, but they will still be fabulous.

I would wrap individually in wax paper.

erinbdm

Thanks for your responses! I ended up making them yesterday afternoon and covering with foil overnight. They are still crisp and delicious this morning:)