Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

What's the best way to roast garlic?

asked by CheeseLover almost 6 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I cut the pointy top of to just expose the cloves. Put it in a sheet of foil butt-side down. Drizzle some olive oil and a pinch of salt on the cut part, then wrap it in the foil and roast at 350 for a half hour or so - it depends on the size of your garlic so check it!

94d3d922 0c09 4916 9398 e8dc022fa2d0  lobster 001

If you don't one of those terra cotta garlic roasting thingys, cut off the top of a whole garlic pod and put it on a square of foil and drizzle it with olive oil. Wrap it loosely and roast it for 45 minutes to an hour or until it's golden & gooey.

7eaa4b74 4ea8 48a9 9067 c0aa2e0b5c3d  img 0788 hsm

I agree with others. Also, you can roast garlic on a closed grill.

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

I agree with these roasting methods, but if I'm not serving the roasted garlic as an appetizer bread spread, I've found another method great for that flavor/texture.

Break open and take the skins off an entire head of garlic (or more) with one of those rubber tube peelers (they really work). Put in a small heavy pot on top of the stove just covered with olive oil. Cook at very low simmer, barely foaming at edges, until cloves are golden and soft.

Pour off the now lovely garlic infused oil into a clean jar and refrigerate for other uses where you want a subtle mellow garlic flavor. Use the cloves as you had planned, or refrigerate for use in the next few days.

Cut off the top 1/4 of the entire garlic head (unpeeled). Place it, root end down, in the middle of a square of heavy-duty foil, or regular foil doubled. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap then entire head in the foil, making sure it's sealed and the entire garlic head is covered. Put it on a small baking sheet or pie tin and put into a 400° oven for about half an hour to 45 minutes. The cloves should be soft, and the skins browned. Let it cool, then squeeze the cloves out into a small dish. You don't need to separate the cloves from the head, just squeeze the side of the head, and all the pulp will squeeze out. Yummm.