How far in advance can I bake challah?

I'd like to try baking challah for first time in anticipation of seder tomorrow night. OK to do this today? Thanks in advance!

Voted the Best Reply!

nashama
nashama September 12, 2015

While there's no disputing the beauty (and smell!) of fresh-baked challah, I've made it a day in advance with no ill effects.
Shana tova!

helicopterina
helicopterina September 12, 2015

many thanks, nashama. am doing first proof now at room temp. was considering braiding 'em up after 40 minutes and leaving them to proof slowly on a pan in the fridge until tomorrow morning and bake-time. hmmm. and shana tova to you!!!

helicopterina
helicopterina September 13, 2015

They came out beautifully after proofing (2nd round) in the fridge for 24 hours. Here's a pic!

AntoniaJames September 16, 2015

helicopterina, those round loaves are stunning! Congratulations, and thank you so much for posting the photo. You have inspired me. ;o)

HalfPint September 16, 2015

@helicopterina, those look beautiful.

helicopterina
helicopterina September 16, 2015

thank you so much, @antoniajames and @halfpint. here's a blog post with more pics. it is definitely something i want to repeat - challah baking is easy and extremely satisfying. and choosing the toppings is a whole lotta fun! http://helicopterina.tumblr.com/post/128958945918/first-time-baking-challah-at-home-nearly-a-home