A question about a recipe: Criss-cross Pan-fried Eggplant

58f3baec 7def 4790 ad52 e218ce858628  crisscrosseggplant

I have a question about the recipe "Criss-cross Pan-fried Eggplant" from monkeymom. Would any other vegetables pair well with the eggplant and pork? I only got one eggplant in my CSA and am looking to make this. Some red peppers perhaps? Or up the pork?

asked by Megan Town almost 3 years ago

if you read through the comments, you'll see the recipe is adaptable. One user made it with beans and chicken, not eggplant and pork. So yes to your red pepper. also other vegetables you may have that are similar to the eggplant - relatively neutral original taste, able to absorb spicy flavors. So - for example - yes to zucchini or other summer squash, but no to bitter greens or radishes.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Eggplant and pork both have pretty neutral flavor profiles, so I would feel free to throw any veg in there...but seeing as this has an Asian inspiration, I would look in the direction of "stir-fry"-esque veggies: bell pepper, snap/snow peas, mushrooms, broccoli, shelled edamame, scallions, spinach, baby bok choy, etc. I think even carrot or summer squash would be nice. If I were making this, I would up the vegetable factor before adding any more pork to the mix...the eggplant/veg should be the star.

I think shitake mushrooms would work really well in there. Recipe looks great.

I've made this three times. The third time, one of my eggplants was black inside. I used red and orange bell peppers and I think zucchini. It's delicious both ways.

The recipe itself suggests dried whole red peppers as an optional ingredient so fresh red peppers should work well.