Idea for a boat load of sage

I had a ton of sage from my garden that I barely used over the summer. Now I have about 100 sage leaves and no idea what to do with them. I'm going to try and freeze them unless someone has suggestions besides using them o make a compound butter...is sage pesto a thing?

asked by CanadaDan almost 3 years ago

Picholine

Saltimbocca with veal or chicken. Need at least a fresh sage leaf for each one. Sage drys well for use later this year for soups, stews and dressings.

Been there, done that. Cut bunches and tie them with string at the cut ends. Hang them upside down in a dark, cool place. Like your laundry room. The space will be incredibly aromatic, the sage will dry, and you can use it all winter. Especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

CanadaDan

will try this thanks!

I adore this chicken. It calls for quite a bit of sage. It's not the prettiest pony in the paddock, but it is delicious.
https://food52.com/recipes...

CanadaDan

so weird...i was looking at this recipe a few days ago...i keep hearing great things. going to try this

So good. If you want more sauce, cover the pan. If you want a more intense sauce, don't cover it. I think I cover with it ajar and uncover it towards the end. I ran out of cinnamon sticks and tried ground cinnamon. Don't do it. Totally changed it.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

To answer your last question, sage pesto sounds a little intense to me, but I could see maybe putting a little in a "mixed herb" pesto. Might be nice in a dish with butternut squash.

@kristen, I've had sage pesto with fresh pasta on a trip in Italy. It was delicious and surprisingly not as intense as you would think.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Although as I think about it, I'm not sure I ever use sage raw...maybe blanch it first if you do that?

No, don't blanch it. For pesto, use it raw.

Yes, you can make a sage pesto, same recipe as a basil pesto. It's not as intense as it might seem.

Exbruxelles

The Zuni cookbook has you warm the sage leaves in olive oil with garlic before pounding into a paste with cheese and nuts. (I use walnuts for sage pesto.) It's excellent--particularly on farro-- but a little goes a long way.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Oh, good to know! So the sage is raw?

Sage pesto is delicious. Or make a thin batter, like a tempura batter, dip the leaves in, and immediately deep fry. You can always dry the leaves, too.

Frying sage leaves very simply until crispy is a good way to some up: http://cooking.nytimes... They can be a garnish, e.g., for pasta or soup, but they're also great as they are with drinks, almost like potato chips - easy for a group to go through quite a few.

Patricia

If you plan to roast potatoes, or any vegetable, just strew a dozen sage leaves on top when you put them in the oven. It's lovely!

Yes to ideas so far like freezing (works a treat) and the deep frying for a snack with drinks or as edible garnish. Also suggest in combination with hazelnuts (filbert) and Gruyère or emmenthal cheeses.
For even more (16 more) ideas see this post in 2014 from Lindsay-Jean Hard
https://food52.com/blog...

scruz

not sure how this would be but i have an old oregano plant that i will often throw some twigs and flowers when it bolts onto barbecue coals. it sends out lots of smoke into the weber.

see also the current thread about using up leftover pumpkin - maybe useful to you for the sage...

There was a contest for Your Best Walnuts and Sage: winner, runner up and all the entries are
here: https://food52.com/contests..., and the Community Picks are here: https://food52.com/blog...

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Reporting back that I got a bunch of sage in the CSA this week so I made sage pesto - and yes, it's absolutely lovely!