I have a ton of green tomatoes that I roasted/pureed from last summer. Any recommendations on an Indian or thai curry recipe. Looking for ideas?

frozen roasted/purreed green tomatoes from last summer Ideas, curry?

asked by Pastraminator over 2 years ago

LE BEC FIN

have you done a 2 recipe search, or googled? I did the latter and good old serious eats is here for you!:
http://www.seriouseats...

i would suggest you do same for thai though i've not heard of thais using alot of tomato as a curry base.

Pastraminator

thank you, i have frozen graham marsala curry cubes that i will try for this, maybe a little ginger too. Need something to balance the sourness of tomatoes.

Kris

Green tomatoes add the perfect Tanginess to dal. I love making it with fresh ones but you can try it pureed also.

Cook toor dal or masoor dal or any lentils till soft by boiling or in a pressure cooker with a pinch of salt and turmeric. In a separate pan, heat some oil and add cumin till it crackles, diced jalapeno (optional), diced onion (optional), salt and then the pureed tomatoes. Once it loses it raw texture , adjust salt to taste and add the lentils. Simmer for 10 mins. Garnish with coriander. You can also add ground pepper in several additions for heat.

Pastraminator

thank you! this has inspired me. Maybe some eggplant to make it meaty for full course or lamb for richness. Looking for something to balance the sourness and brightness

Kris

We usually serve it with plain rice and a side of vegetables. You could try cauliflower or eggplant steak . Or some grilled meat.

Kris

From your comment regarding using garam masala, I got an idea. You could use this in place of regular tomatoes in chole (channa masala) or muttar paneer . You can even do it in chicken Tikka if you prefer meat but skip the cream.