Brown Butter Salty Cookies

I'm obsessed with the Brown Butter Salty Cookies from the Brooklyn Bakery, The Good Batch. I've been trying to find a recipe for similar cookies. Can anyone help?

http://thegoodbatch.com/product/brown-butter-salty/

• Posted by: Eric
  • September 23, 2015

702551
702551 September 23, 2015

The Google search engine returns multiple recipes for such a cookie.

Here's the top hit.

http://www.bakeorbreak.com/2012/10/browned-butter-salty-sugar-cookies/

I used the search parameters "brown butter salty sugar cookies."

Good luck.

Eric
Eric September 23, 2015

Thanks. I've Googled too, and baked this recipe. They come out a little too much like a sugar cookie and not enough like shortbread.

702551
702551 September 23, 2015

Thanks for the follow up. I wasn't sure if you had searched/found that recipe.

Some commenters here only use the site's built-in search engine and do not search elsewhere. There was no indication what sort of efforts you had previously taken.

Perhaps you could modify a shortbread cookie recipe using the specific ingredients (turbinado sugar, brown butter, and salt for sprinkling)? Those seem to be the differentiators here.

Anyhow, good luck with your recipe search.

PieceOfLayerCake September 23, 2015

You could try using a traditional sablé or shortbread recipe and browning ¼ of the butter for flavor. You may be able to get away with browning more, but start with a smaller amount since it will change the texture slightly. I would then just sprinkle raw sugar and flaked salt on them.

They look more like sablé to me than they do shortbread. Here's a recipe from Martha who I generally trust implicitly with providing well-tested, traditional recipes.

Eric
Eric September 24, 2015

Thanks! Can you link to that recipe you mentioned?

Jenny Maria
Jenny Maria September 24, 2015

It is NOT shortbreads since thei contains eggs. It looks more like and english biscut try to modificere an english biscut recipie

Eric
Eric September 24, 2015

Yes, I agree they are not a true shortbread. The texture of the cookie ends up being a lot like a slightly looser shortbread versus a sugar cookie. There is no difference in texture between the outside and the inside. I'll check out some English biscuit recipes.