I baked meringue perfectly last night. It was crunchy and light. Then after sometime leaving it in room temp, it became soft. Why?

so how can i prevent that from happening and make the meringue stay crunchy and not become soft and chewy and stick with each other because i put it in a container, now its soft and sticking to each other its kinda cold here so i think it is also a factor. but i see meringues bought from different places and even if you leave them anywhere or put it in any container it's still crunchy. please help thanks!

asked by Junji about 3 years ago

C Sangueza

Meringue will absorb moisture from the atmosphere and get soft. Storing it in a airtight container helps. Baking it a low temperature for a long time seems to make it more stable I have a meringue cookie recipe that bakes over night in a oven that has been preheated and turned off. Good luck.

Junji

thank you very much. as of now i tried putting it inside the freezer and i was able to separate everything without breaking the form

Junji

Junji

DM
DM

Meringues are ultra sensitive to moisture, as C Sangueza says. I also have recipes that call for leaving the meringues in the oven overnight, with the oven door opened slightly (I stick a wooden spoon between door and frame). apparently, the slow cool down helps get rid of moisture.

Once the meringues are done, you need to hold them in an airtight container, or they will soften and weep.

BTW, they freeze really well. You can plan to bake them, freeze them, and take them out when needed.

good luck!