Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Need help doctoring bean soup

I cooked some white beans, just boiled them. Didntl know what to do with them so I puréed then with some chicken broth. Now I have a bean soup, not so thick but not too thin either. Seasoned with salt. Still it's pretty boring and bland. How to make it better? Thx.

asked by roryrabbitfield almost 4 years ago

I'd add vegetables and herbs. You can probably do a quick saute on onions, carrots and celery until they're slightly soft; then add them to the mixture you already have with some herbs like thyme or a bit of rosemary to let them finish cooking. Other good add ins might be kale, tomatoes, and onions. When you're done, you can top your bowl off with a drizzle of good olive oil and or some large homemade croutons (chunks of bread, drizzle of oil, baked until dried out on edges). Make sure everything is salted well!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Herbs. Chopped fresh rosemary and/or thyme. These are good "bean" herbs. Plus a drizzle of GOOD extra virgin oil----not the Trader Joe's/Costco garbage. Keep it simple. You want the beans to be the star.

7e0b313d 12d6 4069 b603 221b729e5e7a  dsc 0034

I would add some diced cooked bacon and onion and serve with parmegiano and herbed croutons.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

In addition to the above mentioned suggestions, you can simmer it with a little Parmesan rind for added depth (and take it out before you eat it).