What caused the top crust on this 70% hydration sourdough loaf to pull away as it did? Thank you ;o) https://t.co/uC7bqFbJOR

Some other details: I made the dough up early this morning with a fragrant, active starter fed last night and left at room temperature. I needed to bake it late this morning instead of this evening, so I gave the dough a boost of instant yeast - about a heaping 1/4 teaspoon. I baked it for 40 minutes in an old (well seasoned) heavy black steel loaf pan. Your thoughts? Thank you, everyone. ;o)

spiffypaws
spiffypaws October 8, 2015

Perhaps a combination of something happened when the dough was shaped and not enough steam.

Niknud
Niknud October 9, 2015

What do you do when your go-to source for bread/baking has a question? I feel inadequate to the task...and slightly uneasy, like when I realize my kids have been quiet in the basement playroom for ten minutes.... :)

dinner at ten
dinner at ten October 9, 2015

I think that when the gases trapped inside your dough expanded rapidly as the loaf heated up, the surface of the dough can't stretch enough to accommodate the expanding dough/gas release. The traditional slashes on the top of your loaf give this expansion somewhere to go, but in the absence of a directed weak point, it blew the lid off your loaf :)
The short rise & addition of instant yeast might have contributed to this phenomenon, since long rises give time for the gluten chains in the dough to align and form a strong network. The instant yeast may have aerated it faster than it grew strong enough to keep itself together.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten October 9, 2015

I bet it still tasted good, though!

PieceOfLayerCake October 9, 2015

Could the instant yeast have possibly overproofed? It looks like the crust set and then the structure failed...however, that is only a slightly-educated guess.

boulangere October 10, 2015

AJ, I just got home from work, and I'm just beat. The answer is somewhat long, and I'll be able to write it after a night'so sleep, if I may beg your patience.