Pie crust

We baked an apple pie last night and it looked ok. In the morning light, the top crust looks a little pale. Is there ANYTHING we can do? We're about to head out to my future in-laws' house in approximately 1.5 hrs! Thank you!

asked by Amy Larrowe almost 3 years ago

I wouldn't mess with it. Maybe take a little cinnamon-sugar along to sprinkle on top before serving.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

I agree with ChefJune. Anything you do could be risky now. BUT if you're going to warm it up before serving, you might brush a little egg white wash on it, sprinkle with some sugar (Demerara would be nice) and just put it close to the heat source for a couple seconds, watching very carefully.

Ali Slagle

And if all else fails, scoop out the filling, put a crumble topping on top, and you've got apple crumble.