🔕 🔔

If a person needs coconut milk for a recipe what is best brand to buy? (Short of making your own which -- obvs! -- is ideal.) Last time I used Goya which was overly sweet and otherwise generally insipid. Pls advise, many thanks.

asked by wtbryce almost 7 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

Chaokoh is a good brand; you'll find it in most Asian markets and often in the mainstream markets. A Taste of Thai is good, and I like the (cheapest!) one that Trader Joe's sells. But for the best flavor and richness, I usually go with Chaokoh.

Here's a link to what the can looks like:
http://thepurplepepper...

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Kasma Loha-unchit, a well known Thai cooking teacher recommends Cha Koh and May Ploy. Be careful though, there are brands with similar names.
http://www.thaifoodandtravel...

REALLY be careful--just look how I mis-spelled Chao Koh!!

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

I agree with the above posters. Also, watch out if you are shopping in a big American grocery store. I've seen sweetened coconut cream in the 'ethnic foods' section instead of the alcoholic mixers section where I think it belongs.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I 4th the Chaokoh brand. In a pinch I'd use Thai Kitchen.

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

I have used a lot of different brands of coconut milk and my personal favorite is Whole Food's 365 brand, especially when using light coconut milk. It is also organic and not too expensive.