Pie dough

I'm always afraid of adding too much ice water to my flour to make pie dough so what happens is I don't add enough, so as I'm rolling the dough out this time I am adding a little water as I'm rolling then I'll let it set again. Do you think it will still work and be a delicious crust. The recipe is from M Stewart Escarole Tart

asked by Nan about 3 years ago

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

You should check out the Cook's Illustrated Pie Crust recipe that uses vodka. Just google it and it should show up. Since vodka is something like half alcohol (which evaporates in the oven) you get the benefit of easier rolling out since it mimics extra water, but then most of the extra liquid just disappears in the cooking process.

Dessito

I am sure adding a little water several times (if I understood your plan) will work, but looking at the specific recipe, you shouldn't have any problems even if you add the full amount at once. The ice water in this recipe is quite generous (I have seen pate brisee recipes with 2 tablespoons of water - ridiculous!) and you should be fine either way.

As far as letting it "set" again -- I assume you meant you'll chill it after mixing. That is a required step anyway, so sounds good.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I find that the only way to "know" how much water should go into pie crust is to get to know it. If you add a touch more water than you need its certainly not the end of the world. I say, when in doubt, follow the recipe, pay attention, and determine what to do next time for an improvement. Anything is better than store-bought, though....so, I think you'll be fine.

This tutorial may help you with your question of when enough is enough concerning water.

https://thesolitarycook.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/perfect-flaky-pastry/