🔕 🔔

I can't find lard in Seattle; all my fancy butchers don't carry it. Is there somewhere special I should be looking? Is there an online seller?

I'm looking for rendered leaf lard, to use in cookies, pie crusts, tortillas, etc. Not a tub of plastic lard from the supermarket.

asked by moni almost 2 years ago

Fatworks is here in Portland. They may sell to some stores up in Seattle, but their online store is awesome if they don't. I buy all of my beef tallow, lard, leaf lard and duck fat from them. All of the animals are pasture raised and the guys that own this small company couldn't be nicer. Insider info: on 10/31 midnight (so night of the 30th) they have what they call their Talloween sale. Everything is 31% off for 24 hours. No, I'm not an employee, just a loyal customer. :) www.fatworks.com

I think you can also find it at Grocery Outlet.

I buy mine from a farmer at the Greenmarket (in New York) and render it myself.

Do you have any German or Central European butchers in your area? They might be a source. I am surprised you can't find lard in Seattle--it sounds like such a food heaven.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Metropolitan Market should have it, or if they don't stock it they can surely order it for you.

If you haven't already done so, ask your butchers if they can order it for you. They should be happy to oblige!