I can't find lard in Seattle; all my fancy butchers don't carry it. Is there somewhere special I should be looking? Is there an online seller?

I'm looking for rendered leaf lard, to use in cookies, pie crusts, tortillas, etc. Not a tub of plastic lard from the supermarket.

• Posted by: moni
  • October 25, 2015

Susan W October 25, 2015

Fatworks is here in Portland. They may sell to some stores up in Seattle, but their online store is awesome if they don't. I buy all of my beef tallow, lard, leaf lard and duck fat from them. All of the animals are pasture raised and the guys that own this small company couldn't be nicer. Insider info: on 10/31 midnight (so night of the 30th) they have what they call their Talloween sale. Everything is 31% off for 24 hours. No, I'm not an employee, just a loyal customer. :) www.fatworks.com

Voted the Best Reply!

Smaug October 25, 2015

If you have any Mexican markets, they're a good bet.

Jennifer
Jennifer October 25, 2015

I think you can also find it at Grocery Outlet.

ChefJune October 26, 2015

I buy mine from a farmer at the Greenmarket (in New York) and render it myself.

Maedl October 26, 2015

Do you have any German or Central European butchers in your area? They might be a source. I am surprised you can't find lard in Seattle--it sounds like such a food heaven.

SMSF
SMSF October 26, 2015

Metropolitan Market should have it, or if they don't stock it they can surely order it for you.

If you haven't already done so, ask your butchers if they can order it for you. They should be happy to oblige!