food52hotline @brevilleusa I'm making chili today to eat tomorrow. How long to reheat in #slowcooker? Thanks! #Halloween

AntoniaJames October 30, 2015

Foodsafety.gov says this, in a piece they published around Super Bowl time:
"We do NOT recommend reheating food or leftovers in a slow cooker. Instead, we advise callers to reheat cooked food to steaming on the stove top or in a microwave oven. Then, you can put it into a preheated slow cooker to keep it hot for serving. Use a food thermometer to be sure the food stays at 140 °F. or above."
www.foodsafety.gov/blog/slow_cooker.html ;o)

Susan W October 30, 2015

It takes 4 hours for a slow cooker to come to full temp, so as AJ says, I'd reheat on the stovetop, microwave or oven and then place it in your slow cooker.

Susan W October 30, 2015

I just had a thought..you included Breville in your post. Do you have the one that also has a Browning and/or simmer setting? If so, you can bring it to a simmer as quickly as you can on your stovetop. I have the Cuisinart with that setting and use it to brown meats before slow cooking. It's like the burner being on medium high depending on the temp I set it to.

Lisa Dearen
Lisa Dearen October 30, 2015

Thank you!! I will be using the stovetop for sure. Happy Halloween!